Loretta Bartlett Home for Youth Group Home Counsellor (Relief)- Corner Brook
Loretta Bartlett Home for Youth located in Corner Brook, NL is hiring Group Home Counsellors. The positions are for casual call-in shifts. The candidates selected must be available to work on short notice for day, evening, weekend and overnight shifts.
Under the supervision of the Coordinator, the Group Home Counsellor provides informal supportive counselling, contributes to resident programming, and the supervision of youth in a residential environment.
- Provides supervision of residents and monitors their activities.
- Records in and reads resident activity in daily log.
- Completes incident reports, RL and KARL requests as required.
- Prepares reports for court as required, and discharge summaries upon resident release.
- Conducts and documents regular checks on residents and the physical facility.
- Identifies issues and intervenes effectively in crisis situations.
- Provides informal/supportive counselling to residents.
- Completes intake requirement for new residents.
- Attends program related meetings.
- Prepares meals and completes regular household duties.
- Transports residents to appointments, school, meetings, etc.
- Completes purchases for the facility as required.
- Administers medication and records in medication log.
- Contributes to individualized program planning for residents.
- Participates with and/or accompanies residents on recreation events.
- Contributes to the maintenance of a clean and safe facility.
- Contributes to the orientation/training of staff and students.
- Completes shift coverage as needed.
- Participates in professional development as required.
- Ensures confidentiality guidelines are met regarding staff and client information.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining a safe, secure environment for both staff and clients.
- University degree in Social Work, Criminology or the social sciences. (psychology, sociology or education).
- Experience with and a demonstrated understanding of vulnerable populations and the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
- Broad understanding of the criminal justice system.
- Certificates in Emergency
- First Aid, CPR, Crisis Prevention & Intervention, and ASIST or willingness to be trained.
- Person centered and trauma informed approach.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Multilingual skills and multicultural competence are an asset.
- Certificate of conduct and vulnerable sector check.
John Howard Society welcomes applications from all qualified applicants including but not limited to those of any gender, race, orientation or disability.
Wages: $26.54 per hour plus shift differential as per Collective Agreement.
Please email cover letter and resume to: David Penney, Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: November 30, 2023