Senior Counsellor (Residential), Howard House (St. John’s)
Under the supervision of the Manager of Adult Residential Services, the Senior Counsellor (Residential) delivers evidence-based programs, provides ongoing support to staff and oversees the delivery of programs with the fundamental objective of reducing the risk of re-offending.
- Delivers evidence-based programs either in a group and/or individual setting, in the community and institutions.
- Completes file reviews, assessments and reports as required.
- Maintains accurate electronic and manual client records.
- Maintains collaboration with John Howard Society programs and partner agencies for the purpose of case management, alternative program referral and client advocacy.
- Attends program related meetings.
- Provides clinical guidance and indirect supervision to staff.
- Assumes floor duties, including supervision of residents.
- Provides access to medication and documents as required.
- On-call duties as required.
- Contributes to the orientation/training of staff/interns/volunteers.
- Conducts research to ensure that correctional interventions are current with valid correctional research.
- Maintains a process for statistical data collection.
- Develops and presents informational sessions to clients and community agencies.
- Engages in professional development as required.
- Ensures confidentiality guidelines are met regarding staff and client information.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining a safe, secure environment for both staff and clients.
- Assumes limited responsibility in the absence of the Director, as required.
- Performs other related duties as required by the Director.
- University degree in Social Work, Criminology or the social sciences. (psychology, sociology or education)
- Demonstrated knowledge and a minimum of three years experience delivering cognitive/behavioural counselling approaches in both individual and group settings.
- Experience with and a demonstrated understanding of the offender population.
- Broad understanding of the criminal justice system.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Certificates in Emergency First Aid & CPR.
- Proven competency in computer software.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Certificate of conduct.
- Enhanced reliability check.
(Rated by the JJEC June 2016)
Howard House is seeking a full time, permanent Senior Counsellor (Residential). This position includes some evening and weekend work, and on-call responsibilities, as per schedule.
JHS welcomes applications from all qualified applicants including but not limited to those of any gender, race, orientation or disability. Multilingual skills and multicultural competence are an asset.
Salary: $33.89 / hour as per collective agreement
Closing Date: June 4th, 2023
Please submit resumes to: Val Flynn, Manager of Adult Residential Services at email@example.com
Mail: 7 Garrison Hill, St. John’s, NL A1C 3Y7